The Christmas period allows us to spend more time with our family and friends. With more free time available to us over the holiday season, Home Instead Senior Care is advising family and friends to keep an eye out for tell tale signs that our elderly parents or relatives need more help.
Danette Connolly, Director of Care at Home Instead Senior Care, Waterford said “Over the holiday season we tend to spend more time with our parents, grandparents or senior relatives so it is a good opportunity to make sure that are looking after themselves properly, have sufficient food and heat and are safe in their homes.”
Ms. Connolly advised that there are warning signs to look out for that signal an ageing parent or relative needs more help at home.
· Do they seem to be eating well or is food spoiling in the fridge?
· Have they stopped doing daily grooming rituals like taking a shower or fixing their hair?
· Are they taking the right medications in the right doses at the right times?
· Does their car have new scratches or dents?
· Is mail or newspapers piling up without being read?
· Are they using furniture, towel bars or shower curtains to pull themselves up to stand?
“If you are visiting a senior relative during the Christmas holidays be aware of things that may be changing for your senior relatives. Be ready to spot the signs, have those tough conversations and help them get the support they need to remain happy and safe in their own home as long as possible.” Ms. Connolly added.
Home Instead Senior Care provides services to seniors in their own homes and is approved by the HSE. Its caregivers help clients maintain their independence by assisting them with activities of daily living such as meal preparation, laundry, shopping, light housekeeping, driving and incidental transportation.
To find out more about Home Instead Senior Care call 051 333966 or visit www.homeinstead.ie